Saturday, July 18, 2009

The White & Black Young Kitten



On one faithful afternoon about four months ago, I saw a white & black kitten at the sundry shop where I normally go to which is located below one of the apartment blocks. How could I not see him when he meowed so frantically under the steel compartment where the shop keeper puts his onions, potatoes, shallots and garlic?


I crouched under the compartment to take a good look at him. A kitten about the size of my palm and his eyes were still blue. He was very friendly for he climbed onto my lap and continuously meowing. The poor kitten must be starving. I went straight in, to the shelf where the cat food was displayed, took a packet of wet food for kitten, paid the grocer and gave it to the kitten. He finished it in split second.


I was informed by one of the workers that the kitten had been there since morning. Another abandoned kitten, it seemed. My friend and I tried to take him home but he was struggling and crying the moment he was lifted from the ground all the way to my apartment. He started hissing at my cat, Nino at first sight while Nino was just looking at him. From that moment, we knew this kitten was not suitable for Nino and would not make a good indoor cat.


I took him down, put him back where he was, and he stopped crying immediately. He ran inside the sundry shop, hid behind the cash register section. He seemed happy to be there. Whenever I saw him during my daily round of feeding, I would feed him.

After a week or two, he went disappear and never showed up until the evening of 4 June 2009. I was walking back to my apartment from my round of feeding the cats when I spotted him resting outside the front entrance of my apartment block. He has grown into a young kitten, about 6 months old, looking fine and charming. I was extremely happy with the reunion, fed him and patted him. It was a short reunion though for he went disappear once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment